Top ten security tips for using a laptop away from home
These are my top security tips for using a laptop away from home. Whether at a wireless hotspot in a cafe or public space, or when connecting to a customer's network or friend's home network, you can never be too secure!
My top ten tips for maintaining a secure laptop when on the move
- Install a good personal firewall
- Install a good anti-virus tool
- Install a good anti-spyware and anti-malware tool
- Use a secure web browser
- Make sure your Operating System is fully patched with the latest updates before you leave the house
- Use only secure connections when logging into web sites
- Disable sharing
- Disable bluetooth
- Guard your screen! Make sure that no one can see your screen or see you enter a password or other sensitive information.
- Use a VM in which to surf from an access point that you are not sure about
If you have any feedback regarding this article, or you have a suggestion for a new article, or just want to say thanks for the info then feel free to drop me an email at email@example.com.
Article date: 1st February 2011